Genda Funeral Home has a rich history in Clinton and Carroll Counties that has intertwined for years. Many changes over the years have led to multiple locations eventually uniting and becoming Genda Funeral Home as you know them today. This is our story.
L.E. Moore started a funeral home in the downtown Rossville area. He later opened a branch location in the 1940’s on North Main Street in Frankfort that is now known as Genda Funeral Home, Frankfort Chapel. Upon Mr. Moore’s retirement, he sold the funeral homes in Frankfort and Rossville separately.
Genda Funeral Home – Frankfort Chapel
When L. E. Moore retired, Luke Hartman purchased the Frankfort location changing the name to Hartman Funeral Home. Luke served the Frankfort community until he sold the business to Wayne and Carol Frye in 1967. Wayne and Carol were extremely involved in the city of Frankfort and eventually changed the name to Frye Funeral Home. In 1989 Mark J. Genda returned to his hometown and worked hand in hand with the Frye family until their retirement in 1991, at which point, Mark became the owner of then Frye & Genda Funeral Home.
Genda Funeral Homes - Rossville Chapel
Mr. Moore had started this funeral home in Rossville in the downtown area. When he retired, the Rossville Funeral Home was sold to Leo and Mary Brown. They continued to operate out of the downtown location until a fire devastated the property. Mr. and Mrs. Brown built a new funeral home on the north edge of town on State Road 39, which is where the current and newly remodeled funeral home stands today.
Genda Funeral Home- Mulberry Chapel
The Mulberry Chapel has been located at 204 N. Glick St. for years. The funeral home was started by the Clapper family and then owned and operated by Peanut Johnson. He was beloved by the Rossville community. When Peanut decided to retire, Leo and Mary Brown purchased the funeral home.
Genda Funeral Home- Rossville & Mulberry Chapels
Once the chapels were under the ownership of Leo and Mary, they ran both locations for many years. In 1987 David and Linda Bodine purchased the funeral homes. The Bodines were extremely involved and dedicated to the community and to funeral service. Over the years, the Bodines and Mark established a working relationship between the funeral homes. Through this relationship, when David and Linda decided to retire in 2006, they asked Mark to be their successor.
Genda Funeral Home Reinke Chapel, Flora
In the early 1900’s Reinke Chapel was known as D. B. Myer Funeral Home. Like many early funeral homes, it was also part of a furniture business. In 1922, William J. Leiter became a partner of the funeral home, and it became known as Myer Leiter Funeral Home. In 1927, upon the death of Mr. Myer, Mr. Leiter bought the remaining interest in the firm. In 1930, Leiter moved the funeral home to its current location at 103 N. Center St., previously known as the K of P building. Jerry and Phyllis Reinke became part of the firm in 1968. In 1969, Mr. Leiter retired and sold the remaining interest in the business. The name was then changed to Leiter-Reinke Funeral Home. The Reinkes were very involved in the Flora and surrounding communities. Their son, Jerry Jr., came and worked in the family business in 1992. In 2003, he became part owner of the business. The father and son worked together until Jerry Sr. passed in December 2010. Jerry Jr. continued running Reinke Funeral Home until 2012, at which time they sold the Flora funeral home to Mark, thus completing the Genda Funeral Homes Family.